Sunday, July 22, 2012

S'Mores Cupcakes


What I love about Kitten is that she likes to be wherever I am. If I'm getting ready in the morning she will sit on the toilet or the edge of the counter and watch me put make up on and do my hair. If I'm watching TV, she sits in the living room and watches me watch TV. And if I am cooking or baking she sits on the kitchen table chairs and watches. So of course I had to snap a quick picture of this cuteness, even if she looks bored out of her mind. 

So back to cupcakes; I love S'Mores anything. And I love cupcakes so awhile ago I got the idea of putting them together and the outcome was amazingness.  These were probably one of the most complicated (and messy) cupcakes I've made, but they tasted amazing. 


S'Mores Cupcakes

So here's what you need:

Graham crackers
Mini Marshmallows
Devil's Food Cake Mix
Eggs
Veggie Oil
Butter or Margarine

What to do:
Crush up the graham crackers into crumbs almost like a powder. Put a Teaspoon of the crumbs in the bottom of your cupcake liner. (adding a bit of margarine to the mix can help it compact) Mix your batter as directed and bake 350 for 18-20 minutes. Poke with a tooth pick and if it comes out clean they are ready. Cool completely. 

Now here comes the messy and complicated part. Use a double boiler or one pan with water and one on top with your mallows, and melt the mallows like you would for rice krispies. 

While that was melting I put together a piping bag with an long tip that is used for injecting cupcakes but you could probably uses any circular tip to do this. Or even cutting out a small cylinder in the middle of your cupcake for the mallow filling. 

So once the mallows melted I let it cool for a few minutes and then put it in my piping bag. (This is the messy part) I then filled the middles of all my cupcakes. Its really crucial that the cupcakes are all the way cooled and that your mallows are somewhat cooled too because the first time I tried injecting the mallows when the cupcakes were still warm inside they cupcakes just absorbed the mallow and the mallows disappeared

Although now that I think about it using mallow fluff probably would have been a lot easier because it's already the consistency that you want to inject the cupcakes with. So using my bag and tip I injected the cupcakes and put them in the fridge to chill. 

I then frosted the cupcakes with a chocolate frosting and dipped them in the remaining graham craker crumbs. I used some of the remaining frosting to attach extra marshmallows. I wanted to toast them to give it that s'more authenticity but that got really dangerous, really fast because all I had was a small lighter. 

Voila, S'mores cupcakes. If I were to do this again I would use marshmallow fluff, for not only the filling but as the frosting too. I would dip it in the graham crumbs again and maybe bake it on a low temperature for a few minutes to see if that would make the mallow stiffen up like it would over a fire. But that's still in the experimental phase so if you have any suggestions let me know!

Overall the reaction I got when I gave these to friends was great! They weren't expecting the mallow in the middle and that was the cherry on top to their excitement of getting cupcakes in the first place. So thank you to Sarah, Kiel, and Dean Morris for being my test dummies! I will be trying this out again and experimenting with different toppers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment