Thursday, July 12, 2012

Raspberry Crumble Bars



With summer comes the heat and I have definitely been feeling the lazy bug that goes hand and hand with the heat. Kitten has too. She sleeps and lounges so much that it make me feel exhausted and worn out. She often likes to lay on her back and I have no idea why but it's so adorable that I just can't deny giving her a treat for being so cute. But I also wonder if it's just a way for her to air out and cool down. If only it worked like that for everyone, but unfortunately I have neighbors so I can't exactly lay spread eagle like she does (not to mention it'd be kind of weird anyways if I did). But with my army of fans I stay as cool as I can. 




Anyways, I've found that along with the summer heat, you want to eat things that keep you cool and refreshed; which is usually fruit. So to celebrate the summer heat here is a great recipe to beat the heat and tastes great!
It's hard to tell they are bars but don't they look delicious!

Raspberry Crumble Bars

What you need:
3 cups flour
1 -1/2 cups sugar, divided
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon corn starch
4 cups fresh or frozen raspberries (though any berry substitute will work as well)



What to do:
Grease a 9x11 inch pan. In a large bowl combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Cut in the shortening (I just used a fork to do this because I didn't have any other tools to cut the shortening). The mix should be crumbly. Add in the 2 eggs and the extract and mix well. Press in 2/3 of the crumble mix into the pan.

In another bowl combing the cornstarch and sugar. Add the berries. Frozen berries do not need to thaw before hand just break them apart and add them to the mix. Toss or stir the mix until the berries are pretty evenly coated in the cornstarch and sugar mix.

Toss the berry mix over the crumble mix in the pan and spread as evenly as possible. Sprinkle the remaining crumble mix over the berries.

Bake at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until the bars are golden brown. Keep refrigerated. And enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment