Monday, July 9, 2012

Dad's Zucchini Bread

One thing I really love about the summer and early fall is all the gardening my family used to do. We used to live in the valley where there was really rich soil and we got to add the manure from my grandparents cattle farm so it was an extra boost in our garden. One thing we always grew was zucchini. We would have competitions with my grandparents to see who could grow the biggest ones. And when I say we grew zucchini, they weren't your average ones you buy at the store that are only like 6-7 inches. The ones we grew were like almost 2 feet long and at least 6 inches wide. They were absolutely enormous! I have a picture somewhere I'll have to find so you can actually grasp the concept of how big they were.

Anyway moral of the story is that we would have so much zucchini we wouldn't know what to do with. I mean we put it in our eggs for breakfast and fried it for dinner. But my dad LOVES to make zucchini bread with it because it makes a million and one loafs. Okay that was a slight exaggeration but with the amount of zucchini we had it seemed like we made a million and one. So I'd like to share the recipe so that it can bring you as much yumminess as it does for my family!

What you need:
 3 cups flour
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2/3 cup veggie oil
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon (sometimes I add just a tad more because I like cinnamon)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 eggs

Preheat 350 degrees and grease your bread pan.

Mix all the ingredients together; I don't think order makes any difference to the outcome of the bread. Make sure batter is well blended and then pour into pan and make it relatively evenly distributed.

Bake 45-55 minutes (on the bottom shelf) or until tooth pick comes out clean. Remove and cool.

I baked it on the center rack and every time I put a toothpick in it came out somewhat doughy so I kept baking the bread for longer but you also have to know your oven and I wouldn't bake mine any more than 50 minutes. And I think the bottom rack cooked it thoroughly the first time so I didn't have to keep putting it back in for a few minutes at a time.

And since we walked down memory lane, here is a picture of Kitten when she was still just a baby! Those were the days when she was a mini cat not a full adult

No comments:

Post a Comment