Monday, July 9, 2012

Moose Tracks and Banana Cream Cupcakes


This blog is dedicated specially to my Grandpa Banaszak. 




He was a true Cougar fan







Grandpa & I dancing when I was younger








The last two weeks have been relatively rough because my family lost a great man and the head of our family. My grandpa was an amazing person and will forever be remembered as that. So for his memorial I decided to make cupcakes. I decided on two flavors, Moose Tracks and Banana Cream Pie (that was Grandpa's favorite pie). 


Moose Tracks:


I had been trying to make up my own recipe for Moose Tracks cupcakes for awhile because it is one of my favorite ice cream flavors and I had found a few different recipes but thought that it didn't quite capture what I was trying to create; so I let my imagination take over and ended up with a masterpiece! The only issues I had with making these is that it got really messy really fast!

What you need:

1 box chocolate cake mix
1box vanilla cake mix
eggs
veggie oil
peanut butter cups cut into 1/4

Frosting:

1 large can of chocolate
1 small can chocolate
peanut butter (I used about a cup but it depends on how much you like peanut butter)

What to do:

Mix both mixes in separate bowls. Add cut peanut butter cups to the chocolate batter. Add a spoonful of each batter to the cupcake liners and swirl them. Luckily I had a baking assistant (my cousin Riley) so we were able to swirl them at one time (she had one spoon and had another). Then we took a toothpick to swirl them a bit more to make sure we swirled them good.


 Bake as directed on the box, usually 350 degrees for about 18 minutes.  And they turned out as this cool marble effect and smelled soooooooo good!!

We put them aside and began to work on the frosting. We created a chocolate peanut butter frosting by emptying 2 containers of chocolate frosting (between both batters we made a little over 3 dozen cupcakes) and whipped it together with peanut butter. I used about a cup or a little over because I didn't want the peanut butter to be overwhelming and then piped it onto our creation. 
And they turned out amazing! Riley did such a great job frosting them and though I didn't have one everyone was gushing over how delicious they were. Mission accomplished.





Banana Cream Pie Cupcakes

These were my favorite of the two that we made! 

What you need:
1 package instant vanilla pudding
milk
1/4 cut bananas (varies depending on how much you like bananas in your filling)
1 box yellow cake mix
eggs
veggie oil

For whipped cream frosting:
Heavy whipping cream
powdered sugar
vanilla

To begin: 
I made the pudding filling with bananas ahead of time so it had time to set in the fridge. So make the pudding according to pie filling instructions and add bananas to your liking. We cut the bananas in half the long way then cut each half in half again the long way. We then cut those into little chunks so the banana pieces wouldn't be too big and have people choke on them. That wouldn't be good. After making the filling put it in the fridge so it could set and we began on the cupcakes.

So mix the yellow cake mix as instructed and fill cupcake liners. I used 2 boxes of cake mix because I was baking for a lot of people and I made a little over 3 dozen because I filled the liners a little more than 2/3 so they would bake larger. 

After they bake let them cool. Cut the middle out, I did a cone shape.  


Make sure the cupcakes are fully cooled before adding the filling. I put the filling into piping bags because spooning it in was too messy.


We put them in the fridge while we made the whipped cream topping.
To make the whipped cream topping pour the heaving whipping cream into bowl and beat with electric beater on the highest speed. Add powdered sugar to give it body and vanilla for flavoring.  Whipped cream should be pretty thick to be able to pipe. Amazingly the whipped cream was able to stay out for the entire duration of the memorial and then for awhile longer when we went back to Grandma's house for family time. 
These were a big hit and I'm sure Grandpa would've loved them!


A special thanks to Riley for being my baking assistant and doing such a wonderful job frosting all the cupcakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment