Saturday, June 23, 2012

Ice Cream Cupcakes

I've always enjoyed ice cream and cake and to put them together as layers in a cake was a genius idea by whoever thought of it. So of course if it can be made into a cake, it can be done as cupcakes.

There was only a few speed bumps that I ran into on this adventure, one was that nowhere in Pullman was there cake batter ice cream. And by nowhere I mean there was zero cake batter ice cream in all three of the grocery stores here. The second problem was that it does get a little messy, but that definitely could have just been a personal problem.

So let's begin shall we..

What you'll need:


1 box cake mix (I used funfetti because everyone loves funfetti)
Eggs
Veggie oil
Ice Cream (flavor of your choice)
Frosting (I used Duncan Hines Flavor Creations from Safeway)

To Start:

Preheat your oven and mix cake mix. Line your cupcake pan and be prepared because this makes quite a few because in each liner you only need to put 1 teaspoon of batter to cover the bottom. You can increase this but I wouldn't do anymore than just another 1/2 teaspoon because this was my trial and error stage. First  I thought 1 tablespoon would be ok, but that much batter rose quite a bit after baking. So I recommend 1-2 teaspoons, depending on how much cake you like.Bake for about 10-15 min.

After baking all your baby cupcakes let them cool. While cooling, set out your ice cream so it can soften making it easy to put in the liners. My ice cream melted pretty fast so I made sure to put the cupcakes in the freezer right away. So once cupcakes are cool and ice cream is soft, spoon in scoops of ice cream to fill the remaining space in the liner. Make sure you have enough room in your freezer for all of the cupcakes so you don't have to make shift shelves out of lasagna and cool whip like I had to. Leave cupcakes for a few hours or even overnight.

To Frost:

Have everything ready to go before removing cupcakes from the freezer because you'll need to work fast. For frosting you can use whatever flavor coordinating with your cake and ice cream but because I was using fun flavors I decided to use Duncan Hines Flavor Creations flavoring packets to make cotton candy frosting (so delicious). And to top it off I put a gumball on top. In theory this was a good idea but I forgot the little fact that when gumballs freeze they become jaw breakers, so next time I'll wait until I serve them to add the gumball.

I brought them to work with me and thinking because we have a big walk-in fridge it would be ok to leave them in there for an hour or two; that plan failed miserably and withing like 15-20 min they began to melt. So if not in the freezer, eat them fast!


No comments:

Post a Comment