Saturday, June 23, 2012

Grinch Cupcakes

To get in the spirit of Christmas my sister and I decided to bake a lot because we were hosting a Christmas Eve party. The whole weekend we competed to see who the better child was and were awarding points to ourselves for different crafts and activities that we did. For example I decorated the entrance light with those little mittens that Starbucks giftcards used to come in that I had saved (5pts). While my sister made reindeer cookies (10pts). So to one up her I made  Grinch cupcakes. 


So what you'll need:

1 box cake mix (we used a funfetti Christmas edition)
m&ms (all yellow)
food coloring (We had green holiday frosting but it can also be dyed green with food coloring)
Frosting
Eggs
Veggie Oil
toothpicks (or piping equipment if you have it)

To begin:

Preheat oven and mix cake mix as directed. Fill each liner 2/3 full and bake as directed. Let cool.

Mean while if you have regular white frosting add green food coloring until shade of green is achieved. I had a Christmas edition of funfetti green frosting so this step was already accomplished for me.

To Frost:

 Once  the cupcakes are cool frost with green frosting. Instead of putting the peak of the frosting (the point that usually occurs when frosting) in the center, I put it close to a side to be reminiscent of the Grinch's pointy head. Then add two yellow m&ms as eyeballs. Now I used the left over frosting and added a mix of food coloring to get a brown color, but you could also just use chocolate. And because I didn't have piping bags and tips at the time I used a toothpick to make my lines. I created two eyebrows and a smile and instantly you have a Grinch. 

I think this is a cute and easy way to make festive cupcakes and will definitely do this again sometime. And if you're wondering who won the best child award between my sister and I, we decided it should be a tie (though I personally think I won) but we came to the tie decision because my mom says she loves us both equally. But that's okay Mom because secretly we know who the better child is. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment